Archive of Přemysl Pitter and Olga Fierzová
Without love, without humanity, without compassion of human to human, nothing can succeed.
Přemysl Pitter

Pitter's Co-workers

The construction of Milíč House in Prague, was funded by donations from friends and readers of the magazine Sbratření published by P. Pitter since 1924. In 1933, Milíč House was opened as a shelter or facility for out-of-school education for children. Milíč House, as a childcare facility, was unique not only in Czechoslovakia but also in the world.

One of the most experienced workers was the excellent pedagogue and publisher of children's magazines Ferdinand Krch. Margit Becková taught music in Milíč House, and Líza Sattlerová led regular lessons of rhythms (both died during the war in the concentration camp). Míla Vavrda led the boys' clubs, and Anna Rottová led the lessons of girl's handwork. Her husband Josef Rott was an economic manager of Milíč House. Anna Pohorská and Marie Mejtská worked in the administration. Later, they were joined by Magda Pilbauerová, who led art classes, and Milada Horáková, who provided the pedagogical management of the sanatorium in Mýto. Ida Tyčová acted as an instructor of a physical education. The administrators of the sanatorium in Mýto were Mr. And Mrs. Pašek.

Jan Pašek.
Jan Pašek.
Ferdinand Krch.
Ferdinand Krch.
Milada Horáková.
Milada Horáková.
Mr. and Mrs. Rott.
Mr. and Mrs. Rott.
Magda Pilbauerová.
Magda Pilbauerová.
Ida Tyčová.
Ida Tyčová.

In 1944, Pitter organized a secret meeting about the immediate help of war-affected children in the post-war era. Between 1944 and 1945, Pitter began to prepare a plan how to help Jewish children surviving the Nazi concentration camps. He established the Committee of Christian Assistance for Jewish Children. The circle of the illegal committee was composed by YMCA and YWCA members, pedagogues, church workers.

After the operation The Castles in April 1947, P. Pitter and his co-workers were again focused on the devoted work at Milíč House. The Milíč House as a shelter was restricted by communist power and after violently closed in 1949. The building was used since 1953 as a one-week youth club. Since 1976, the building serves as a kindergarten.

Child-care workers at the terrace of the Prague Milíč House, from the left P. Pitter, A.Rottová, J. Rott, O. Fierzová, M. Horáková, A. Pohorská, F. Krch.
Child-care workers at the terrace of the Prague Milíč House, from the left P. Pitter, A.Rottová, J. Rott, O. Fierzová, M. Horáková, A. Pohorská, F. Krch.
M. Horáková, M. Pilbauerová and O. Fierzová in Switzerland, in 1967.
M. Horáková, M. Pilbauerová and O. Fierzová in Switzerland, in 1967.

 

© Comenius National Pedagogical Museum and Library 2013–2018