Archive of Přemysl Pitter and Olga Fierzová
Without love, without humanity, without compassion of human to human, nothing can succeed.
Přemysl Pitter

Prague Milíč House

The construction of Prague Milíč House, as a facility for out-of-school education for children, was funded by donations from friends and readers of the magazine Sbratření published by Přemysl Pitter. The construction of the building was managed by Karel Skorkovský, who built the house according to the design of the architect Ervín Katona. The Milíč House was opened in 1933. It was a bright, spacious, one-storey house with a garden, best suited for working with children. The children, under the supervision of educators, were attending various classes. In 1936, another floor of the house was built.

In addition to educational care, children were also bathed regularly, they were under medical supervision, or received snacks. As far as possible, food and clothing were distributed among the poorest families. Many children lived in poor conditions and needed a change in the environment. In 1938, a year-round sanatorium was set up in Rokycany, which was extended in summer by a tent camp.

Prague Milíč House was based on voluntary cooperation. At the time of the German occupation, the house became the center of secret support for persecuted Jewish families. As a shelter was forcibly ended in 1949. The building was used since 1953 as a one-week youth club. Since 1976, the building serves as a kindergarten.

Prague Milíč House, in 1937.
Prague Milíč House, in 1937.
Children gardening.
Children gardening.
Children place to play.
Children place to play.
Children in Milíč House during the art course.
Children in Milíč House during the art course.
© Comenius National Pedagogical Museum and Library 2013–2018